Friday, December 20, 2013

Christmas for me

Hope everybody is having a wonderful season full of memories!

Every Christmas season, I have lots of thoughts/ideas/memories, what ever you wish to call it. When I think I have things settled, I don't.

I don't know that I have ever TRULY enjoyed the holidays. Don't know that I ever will. One year, I may think.... "Well, if I try this, then maybe"........then the next year...."Well, maybe if I try this..........."

Nope.

See, I grew up with a dad who hated pretty much any holiday. As a very young child- we had holidays. A time I don't really have memories of. But my memory can be jogged by a photo. And I rarely see those. So I got up to the age of really remembering things....like about the age of 10, and Dad changed everything he has ever taught me. Dad was a dad of "Do as I say" and NEVER EVER explained anything. Then, when I became an adult, and had my own children, I saw Dad back paddle on a lot of what he drilled into my head. Which has always left confusion! You would think that now, me being an adult, heart and mind of my own, I could make my own decisions. Especially with the wonderful husband I have. W would make our decision TOGETHER.

Nope.

Some things just get DRILLED into your head and heart. I know my Bible, I know history, blah, blah,blah. I have seen it, heard it, you name it.

I have had a lot of friends who have converted their faith and now don't believe in holidays. I get that. And most certainly don't judge.

I just don't know where "I" stand. I can never have that clear conscience. I LOVE the sights, sounds, taste and smells of the holidays. Don't get me wrong. Love the old songs, enjoy sending cards. ( I would like to send them for every holiday!! ) I adore the lights most of all. And what I mean by that is I just flat out love lights!!!! I keep lights on in every little nook of my house. I used to leave my lights up on the front porch all year long.....to quote an old favorite song of mine- REDNECK WOMAN! I truly did!! I just love lights, not that they "belong" to the holidays. My favorite is a turtle that is kinda like a stained glass thingy, I keep on at all times. I just love LIGHTS. There is a light on, of some sort, in every room of my house, at all times.

Maybe I am just old fashioned. Today's holidays stuff does not appeal to me. We cut back on gifts this year. Thought that maybe even that would help....stepping away from the commercialism. It really hasn't changed anything I feel. I don't enjoy the new Christmas song or movies. I like the old~ Burl Ives, Elvis, Bing....Rudolph,, Frosty, and Mickey's Scrooge.

I'm an old soul I guess.

I truly sit back and ponder and think about "the meaning" of Christmas. I don't mind hearing that. My problem with that however is KNOWING folk who PREACH and SING that. Then after the holidays are over, that remembrance is gone. Same with Easter. I truly believe those things we think on.....the BIRTH, the DEATH, the RESURRECTION is a thing that needs to be on our minds EVERY DAY.

Maybe THAT'S my hang up?!?!?!?!!?

I have heard one person say that they don't have a problem with Christmas. They just separate it from Christ. They don't do the "Reason for the Season" stuff. At first, I thought that was odd. The more I think of it, the more I am seeing light in it. I want Christ to be the reason for EVERYTHING I DO. Not just a holiday season. They don't have a problem with the holiday at all......like we do maybe....lets say, Labor Day. Its just a holiday. I hope I am making sense on this. They simply separate it. But then in the back of your head......you think......"How can you have Christmas without Christ?"

I battle any holiday that is encompassed by religion. Halloween especially. I love the OLD Halloween. More of the Fall Festival type stuff. Not the gory things of today. I know.....
I'M JUST WEIRD!!!!!!!!!! I believe Thanksgiving is the ONE holiday I have absolutely no trouble with. ( outside of  like Veterans day, etc..... it isn't religious affiliated.)

One of these days, I will have my answer. My heart will rest and be satisfied.

Above all things........

KEEP HOPE <3 br="">


12 comments:

  1. i am the same. the holidays are difficult for me and i don't know why exactly. maybe thats why my anxiety is worse at the moment. about 15 years ago i went through a period of questioning how i celebrated any holiday. my conclusion is that God knows our hearts and our motives, so we should celebrate in any way that honors Him. trees, lights, candy, cookies, songs, gifts--do what makes you feel good. as much or as little. to me christmas is late on christmas eve in the quiet stillness of the middle of the night, after church or just worshipping alone, when you just feel so hopeful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you hit the nail on the head Karen.....GOD KNOWS OUR HEART!! And Christmas ~ to you is late on the eve, in the stillness ~ that sounds so peaceful and reverent to me! Spot on!

      Delete
  2. I grew up in a Jewish home, so celebrating Christmas with the truth of Scripture AND the fun Christmas events, presents, lights, food, etc, is all important to me! Have a wonderful holiday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna, you are so blessed to have wonderful memories. I would love to hear about some of your traditions!

      Delete
  3. I LOVE Thanksgiving! There is no pressure, just food, family, friends and a whole 'lotta thankfulness! This year, for Christmas, my attitude changed a bit as I was decorating the house. I was not looking forward to pulling everything out. Matter of fact, I was thinking of ways I could get out it and decorating with less. My daughter had other ideas. To her, decorating the house, taking the time to fluff and arrange was part of her celebration. As hard as I tried to convince her about just doing the simple stuff, she would have none of it. Her passion and love for this part of "her" idea of Christmas soon became contagious. It took us several hours to get everything out and put up but found myself humming Christmas songs. Sarah made hot chocolate and as we fluffed, what seemed to be miles of, garland and untangled Christmas lights - my attitude changed. She set up Christmas music, a fire video on the television and made hot chocolate. We talked about past Christmases and wondered what this one would bring. When we decorated the tree, the kids talked about who made which one and the story behind the ornament.

    I was the one making the season more of a chore than enjoying the whole point behind it. Yes, it is, to me, about Christ but it is and can be about those things such as lights. ;) The simple enjoyment behind being together. Making memories. The child-like excitement and anticipation of things to come. The warmth of hot chocolate and the smell of cookies baking in the oven. Fluffing up the garland only to have the cat sit on it. Untangling Christmas lights, putting them up on the tree only to find one of the strings is not working. All of it!

    Moments to be enjoyed.

    On a less serious note...

    Do you have a year round tree? You could decorate it with lights...lots of them...along with seasonal decorations. January - snowflakes & snowmen. February - hearts and pink lights. March - clovers, green lights and green garland. April - umbrellas & boots (April showers bring May flowers)....

    Great post!!! You have made me think a bit deeper on the holidays - thank you!!!

    xo Cat



    ReplyDelete
  4. I have honestly thought of a year round tree! Then I quickly dismissed it! lol The thought of dusting it! Plus I have so many tucked in lights scattered thru the house anyways.
    I truly have good days when I think of Christmas. But then, its like the closer it gets, the more inward I look. I am truly hoping that when Jolene gets to move back home, that it will be a shot in the arm. I sometimes think that maybe I feel the way I do too is because there are no children around. Just adults. Mainly MEN!!! LOL

    But under all, I do know I still hear my Dads voice. One day, it will leave and I can put all this behind me. Some scars are deeper than others. This year, however, HAS been better.

    This year I very much simplified my decorating! As much as you desired a simpler decor as well, you made wonderful memories with your daughter!! YOUR BLESSED! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved your post and everyone's comments. I guess we all have our baggage about the holidays. I haven't enjoyed it much for years. However, this year I have put up 3 trees. Having our granddaughter has helped with looking forward to the holidays again. Still have issues with other things as you well know sister. Trying not to let it get me down. We still have the BLESSED HOPE!
    Love Ya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. trying to look at Christmas thru the eyes of a child helps. After all, doesn't He want us to come to Him as his children? Hmmm.....I think I need to ponder on that last sentence a while!!!

      Delete
  6. Woo Hoo April Jo is blogging again :-) Don't mess with this girl's Thanksgiving!!!! So enjoyed lunch the other day & LOVE the ornament, I collect ornaments so this one is going in my collection :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep, blogging again....now....go update yours! ;-) And I enjoyed lunch too......I so NEEDED IT!!!! ( I need to buy more bows so we can have another excuse to have lunch again!!! ) LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. You always give me so much to think about. I have enjoyed reading everyone's comments too. I really like what Karen said about honoring Him in everything we do. There are always stressful times during my Christmas season, but I always come away with wonderful memories.

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is so much better than FB aint it!!!! Its just different.

    ReplyDelete